View Single Post
Old 12-29-13, 12:36 AM
yarb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Sorry, the o.p. just does not pass the smell test. IOW, I don't believe a word of it. I am actually paying the o.p. a compliment to say, in effect, that I absolutely do not believe that they are actually so stupid as to do something like draft a commercial vehicle in city traffic.
Are you kidding? Plenty of people draft vehicles in the city, including me. It is of course more dangerous than riding in a bike lane - certainly a segregated one - but if there's no lane then it's safer, and it's always a LOT faster. And it's fun. I'd suggest the following:

- don't draft buses, unless you know there are no stops. Buses stop a lot and when they stop with you behind, it can be tricky to pass. If you know the road well you may be able to anticipate the stops but you'll still lose the draft.
- never draft on a road you don't know intimately, in terms of potholes, cracks etc.
- if you lose the draft, pull out of traffic (if safe) and don't keep chasing like a loser.
- obviously, keep your eyes and ears wide open, as you should at all times while riding. If you do this you should be OK re: stopping. A bike can stop just as quick as a car under normal conditions. Emergency stops are different; I'd hate to find out whether or not I could stop behind a suddenly braking motor vehicle. But there are all kinds of sudden actions that can impact you on the road, whether you're drafting cars or not. I don't think you're at hugely greater risk from doing so, if you're an experienced cyclist.