View Single Post
Old 12-29-13, 08:31 AM
SmallFront

Bikes: Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, at least you are consistent. I'm somewhere in the middle: There is benefits to mandating something by law. Take workplace safety for instance. It is to protect the workers - sometimes even from themselves. I think the same holds true for the population at large. Of course, not all safety measures are reasonable for everyday usage, but some are very reasonable for slightly various reasons: Seatbelts in cars, blind spot mirrors on lorries, beeping when a lorry backs up, MC helmets, bike helmets, lights on bikes, reflectors of some kind on all vehicles, and so on.

There are just some of us who really needs to be fined if we don't act responsibly. Handsfree cell phone talking is a compromise in my opinion. Even if handsfree, most would do better to not talk at all - especially in city traffic. I don't trust the vast majority to do what is best for everyone. It's simply not how the real world is, and that includes not talking constantly on the phone, being able to brake (almost) as well as ABS braking, to have lights on their vehicles, or even use the indicator when making a turn. One could argue that the indicator is not a safety device, but if used as they are supposed to, they are making you predictable.

Which reminds me: I have read on here that some people are miffed that people don't know that a 90 degree angled left arm means you are turning right. That really is stupid. Use your right hand to indicate a right hand turn, and your left arm to indicate a left hand turn. Around these parts (all of Europe) raising your arm at a 90 degree angle means you are stopping.

The notion that an angled left arm would mean a right turn is something that was used when cars didn't have indicators and the drivers right arm couldn't be seen from the outside regardless of how long it was.

I'm all for courses from an early age, since those guys are actually dangerous, indicating one thing, while actually doing something else.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Sorry for the length of this.