Old 12-30-13, 05:09 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by mornview
I wouldn't want to go with disc brakes yet as I don't want to put anything on the bike that I don't know how to fix (and I don't know the first thing about disc brakes). But I will be adding a cantilever brake in the front (though in my case the coaster brake will be my primary brakes).

Are there any particular brands or models of mountain bikes that are known for having horizontal dropouts? So far I haven't come across a single one.

And I completely understand where you're coming from - one of the main reasons for me wanting to get a bike that can be my summer bike and my winter bike all in one is because I fear my wife is right on the verge of saying we have "too many bikes".
I was referring to drum brakes not discs but I understand wanting to keep it simple. Many 1980's vintage MTB's had horizontal dropouts and a bolt on derailleur hanger which makes them perfect for this type of build. My current Winter bike is an early 80'ds MTB frame but I have no idea what brand it was but it did have forged dropouts so I'm betting it was an LBS grade bike not a box store bike. I use eBay as a research tool when looking for frames with certain characteristics. You can find some decent close ups of stripped frames so you can make out details of the dropouts, braze-ons, etc. As far as the wife saying we have too many bikes, I crossed that thresh hold a few weeks ago.