TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
I checked long ago. What is 612 & what is so great about it? You can state for a fact that it is that much better than good ol' 4130, natch? What about an integrated seat clamp is so superior to a separate seatpost collar? Those cutesy cutout trackends must account for the higher price, right? Does room for bigger tires on a trackish bike mean much? If so, Big Block claims room for only 32c, Surly says Steamroller fits 38. Hmmm...

But as someone else just posted
My $300 BD complete bike is made from Chinese 4130, has a plain set collar clamp and plain dropouts. Can you tell me the Steamroller is that much better ? You can buy a complete Kilo WT, which is a clone of the Steamroller geometry for less than a Steamroller frameset. It's all a matter of value, and relative to what it offers I just think the Steamroller is overpriced. When you can buy a Wabi Classic for $750 with a custom setup that is $70 less than a complete Steamroller, then its hard to justify the Steamroller pricing.

As to my intruding into your Steamroller superthread, I wouldn't have done so except for the asinine remark in the Surly advert dissing people who buy stuff that is better.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me