View Single Post
Old 12-31-13, 08:47 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Other than a custom R20 build I did, buying a Birdy off Bruce Metras was my first foray into folding bikes.

Said it before, say it again: at least with the Birdy, folding bike riding has very much exceeded my expectations.

Change in jobs lengthened my commute from 19mi -- which I rode on either a dedicated drop bar commuter or a flat bar street-ified mtn bike -- to 45 mi. But there's a convenient connecting bus between home and work, 5mi ride from home to the bus, 3mi ride from the bus to work. They toss bikes underneath the bus in cargo storage, but bike transport is dependent on other people's luggage. Too much luggage, and they can toss your bike off and you with it to wait for another bus. Now that's never happened to me in a half dozen trips with a bike, and getting off where I do for the commute would make it even a more far-fetched scenario, but clearly the drivers don't like dealing with full size bikes.

I like to accommodate people as much as possible and not mess up their days; I'm a bike geek, always wanted a folding bike. So I had a legit reason...

The Birdy geometry is spot-on. The suspension is definitely worth it, not just in comfort, but also handling, especially at the front. For a small wheel, it tracks remarkably true, very much like a full size bike, with the suspension keeping the front wheel planted even over rougher stuff.

Fold is a bit wonky, but half-fold in a hurry works to get it under the bus, and once I got it down, it became faster.

Everyone loves a folding bike, especially the Birdy. Kids think it's a "Rad bike, dude!" (I think it's the suspension...) Other commuters either seem to feel bad that I have to ride a bike or jealous that I get to ride a bike. People gawk when I fold/unfold it; bus company staff think it is just the most awesome thing.

Now, it's winter and pretty much the only complaint I have is the 18"/355 wheel size. No studded tires available in that size. So now I have a beater 26" diamond frame mtn bike chained up on the bus end of the commute and I use my dedicated commuter on the home side. I suppose I should be on the lookout for a 20" wheeled winter folder...

Last edited by mconlonx; 12-31-13 at 08:51 AM.