Old 01-01-14, 10:32 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I kinda fit that profile. I had been riding recumbents for a couple years, so was already accustomed to small-wheeled "different" bikes when I started looking at folders. The ability to fold it down and toss it in the trunk appealed to me, but I didn't really need the feature. Honestly I just liked the style and "differentness" in an upright bicycle, plus it seemed a little easier to carry up and down stairs unfolded compared to a regular bike. I've since moved to a smaller car (Fiat 500 Abarth), which is a direct result of discovering folders. The type of bike came first before I needed it, then I bought a little car I wanted because I knew I could put a folder in it.

The only "unseen benefit" I can think of is the same one that comes with 'bents: People find them interesting - almost "logical" - after they encounter it, and want to ask questions. With 'bents you get the surprise that a bicycle can be comfortable; with folders you get "Wait. I can buy a bike that folds down into a little space?" In both cases you often see a look in their eyes like "Why aren't all bikes like this?" It's fun.