Old 01-02-14, 05:04 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by SmallFront
I will make the argument that you are underestimating the dangers of hitting hard stuff when on a bike because you are used to it, and overestimate the dangers of XC skiing because you are not. You are "near risky objects" almost all the time when riding a bicycle, not so when XC skiing.

I am an European cyclist, and I'd estimate that 80 percent of youngsters in cities wear a helmet, and 30-40 percent of the old farts. And, no, regardless of what you do, you can be hit by a car or fall down hitting a kerb, a bicycle, a bicycle stand, or, as is everywhere: Hard asphalt. And once again: A helmet will help alleviate head injuries if you do fall.
Yes you can get hurt if you ride too fast and don't know what you are doing. If your bike handling sucks wear a helmet. If it doesn't make up your own mind. Also there is always a chance that something might happen even though you are prepared. But that applies to everything you do. You lose control of your car, your plane crashes, you get overrun by a car whilst crossing a road on foot. You prepare with options most convenient. A helmet for me is not convenient for day to day so I ride safer so I don't need one. And I actually mean that. I do not need it because I know what I am doing. I do not fall and if I do I know how to fall properly covering my head.
It's the same thing why i don't wear studded shoes. They would be absolutely handy and smart where I live, but as I know what I'm doing I no longer slip and fall down and possibly break my ankle (as I did once. How I wished I had had studs on me feet)

If I decide to go shred some trails I wear a helmet because I make it more dangerous in chase of adrenaline.

And as a side note. If you fall down while crossing a curb etc. do you really think you should be riding anyways?

And as a final note. You mentioned earlier that an XC-skiier doesn't have to handle hard stuff. You are welcome to come here and try. even the most simple downhill can be considered hard stuff with traditional skiis.