View Single Post
Old 01-02-14, 05:44 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zedmor
in the beginning when I started eat less and exercise I thought carbs are my enemies and I had almost all my energy from protein/fat .... but it's clear now with increased workload that this approach dosent work anymore since exercises require carbs in form of glucose,
Just be aware that there is a LOT of controversy over that subject. Many knowledgeable people DO believe that you should be driving your system with fats and proteins and that carbs are your enemy. And, many knowledgeable people believe quite the opposite. This guy is in the latter camp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9LMezWH5DA

But the key to the controversy seems (to me) to lie more with WHICH carbs are you talking about?
... Are you eating White Bread, sugary cereals, sugary drinks and candy?
or
... Are you eating 100% whole grains and fruits and vegetables (NO fruit juice except in cooking).

The first overwhelms your system with simple sugars and produces insulin spikes.
The second gives your body all the nutrients it needs (including protein) without the spikes...

I found that when I converted to a 100% whole grain, plant based diet that my energy levels improved greatly and that they stayed high throughout the day. The thing that really surprised me was the mornings: when I wake up, I am fully awake almost immediately -- I don't need coffee anymore.

But, its a hard diet to follow -- because our culture pushes simple carbs, fat and meat on you...

But, if you are interested in getting more healthy, helpful carbs, Rip's father's book would be a good place to start. ("Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell Esselstyn M.D.). And, in the end, you may find a healthy diet combination that works for you and your lifestyle choices.

But, one thing is NOT controversial: simple carbs (like you get from Coca-Cola or white bread) are bad for you. So, don't "avoid them", eliminate them -- completely.