Old 01-02-14, 08:27 AM
B.L. Jinks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE:

Changed the battery; a good idea but no help.

Tried the multiple magnets trick, which I had really high hopes for. That didn't work out though. The new wheel runs so smoothly that when she jumps off, although the 'natural bottom' quickly orients itself, the wheel swings so smoothly that there is no configuration of two magnets that will work. When she jumps off, the wheel will swing back forth a pretty significant distance - and a whole lot of times. She racks up bonus miles like crazy. Ha! I'm, not seeing a workaround to make the two magnet trick work for her. Too bad, it was an awesome idea.

Also, no progress on finding a computer with a calculation timeout of longer than three seconds. I need one with a calculation timeout of more like six seconds. Does anybody know of a computer where this timeout can be programmed? Too much to hope for probably.

HOWEVER -- I realized that although the average speed calculation is waaaaay off, the elapsed time calculation should be pretty darned accurate and that the distance traveled function should be fully accurate. Then I started thinking about using this data to calculate the correct average speed.

Machine Head Software, UK to the rescue:
http://www.machinehead-software.co.u...time_calc.html

Works like a charm.

I'm still on the hunt for another computer, but it looks like I am back in business.

The new treadwheel is looking like a success. After acceptance difficulties, she has had several runs now, including her best run yet on the new wheel last night: 2 hours, 20 minutes / turning the wheel 3.71 miles / at an average speed of 1.59 mph / with a maximum speed of 5.36 mph. This data is within the range that I would expect to see. A strong run for her. Yay! It is too soon to declare victory on her accepting the new wheel, but this is a good thing to see. The first six nights she refused to get on the treadwheel at all! Three of the last five nights have been pretty decent. Two of them pretty mediocre. Now that I am seeing some acceptance, time is probably on my side.