View Single Post
Old 01-03-14, 12:34 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
There is no difficulty in positioning the light once you have the mount on. The magnets in the light don't just clamp onto the nearest ferrous material. I only had problems getting the mount onto the brake caliper because I didn't have quite a long enough bolt. The light itself just clicks on and off the mount.

As for the power/lumens/lux it generates, it does come in at the low end of what would be considered adequate. 30 lux is pretty low for a front, but you would want to use 2 so 60 lux would put it in the mid-range dynamo light category from B&M. I'm still in the process of building up a dynamo wheel and light set for my commuter to compare with the battery lights I currently use. My current lights are a Lezyne Super-drive and a cheap Chinese Keygos flashlight, both around 450 lumens. So, how do you compare lumens, the rating used for battery lights typically, with lux, the rating used on Stvzo compliant dynamo lights? That's a whole different argument.

I think the problems you encountered were the types of things that Dirk had to surmount to make it viable, and that's what he has done. Yes, you can make a prototype, but he made it commercially available, although if you read his story he had lots of problems along the way and then was helped by some people in China in manufacturing. I don't envy him for what he is going through to make a product. He could easily go broke doing this, and I guess that's where the kickstarter campaign comes in.