View Single Post
Old 01-03-14, 05:56 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't think it was meat and potatoes that caused him to have heart disease. I think it was too much marathon running...Marathon running is not healthy. The very first marathon runner died soon after he finished his run. Short intense exercise routine is a lot healthier then long hours of cardio and endurance. I am not against cardio, I do cardio, but what I am saying is keep it short and don't over do it. Too much exercise creates a lot of toxins and free radicals in the body. Marathon runners are not a good example of health and fitness they look like a bunch of dried up sticks.
I have to agree with you that marathon type exercise is NOT healthy...

I worked the medical tent at the finish line of the Pittsburgh Marathon for a couple years. I came away being really negative about marathons -- because I saw some REALLY sick people in that tent. (I transported one young wife and her 6 month old child to a local hospital where they had shipped her husband -- she literally did not know if she would ever see him alive again -- fortunately, she did -- he had survived a body temperature of 109 degrees).

Last year I got to watch it as a spectator -- and came away with a very different impression after watching the smiling faces crossing the finish line...

But, I would not agree that marathon running will clog arteries... It's hard on the heart -- and can cause enlargement and arrhythmia's, but I would doubt that it will clog the arteries (which was his problem).