View Single Post
Old 01-03-14, 06:15 PM
Dagmar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, lasauge.

Yes, I have some leftover winter gear (I haven't skied or snowboarded in over ten years) that is coming in handy. The most helpful item are my goggles, which fit over my glasses. I also still have my neck gaiter and some knee-high smartwool socks. That's about it, though.

Last winter I did a series of short winter rides out to breakfast eateries with friends. I was pretty comfortable in my rain coat/windbreaker, yoga pants, and my old ski mittens. Various parts would get cold, but not for long. Bike commuting has to be a bit more serious, as I need to be able to manage all weather. So I knit a thin wool hat to put under my helmet and purchased lobster claw mittens, wool army surplus gaiters and rain legs (which work well to warm my thighs--I'll find out Monday how they are in rain).

I did swing by the local bike shop on my way home and grabbed the last studded tire in stock for my front wheel. The ride home was a piece of cake with that. Very few problems.

My biggest issue is that almost every shirt I own is 100% cotton or a dress shirt, so I sweat like the dickens and then it just sits on me until I change out my clothes. That is not fantastic. I need to look into an alternative. I do have a wool vest I was wearing on top of the cotton to keep my core warm. I removed that for the ride home today and was very cold with minimal sweating. I am generally not someone who sweats at all, so I don't have a lot of self-awareness or experience around managing this, but I do know I need a different shirt material.

In any case, I love winter bicycling.

Best,
Dagmar