Old 01-04-14, 12:02 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
That person would most likely take a cab; and I doubt very seriously if too many SuperBowl tickets holders are likely to walk a couple miles to anywhere, least of all to a game at the Meadowlands or at Yankee Stadium.
I don't know about all that, but like I said before, (and you of course scoffed at) when the game was at Ford Field, many out of town ticket holders walked from their hotels through the beautiful streets of downtown Detroit. Those who were staying at suburban hotels, many of them drove to cheaper and easier parking on the downtown fringes and took the People Mover to the game. Even rich people like to save money!

Many people say that Americans don't like to walk. I think it's true only because in most cases we don't have a decent place to walk. Like it said in one of the articles (I think the one you posted), New Yorkers like to walk. And New York is a lovely city to walk in. Wealthy people in New York walk. Jackie O. used to walk to work. Bloomberg--one of the ten wealthiest people in the world--takes the subway and walks. The article says that people in New Jersey hate to walk, but most parts of New Jersey, especially around meadowlands, are lousy places to walk.

all I'm trying to say is that people everywhere are pretty much the same. Their behavior in large part is determined by the environment they live in, and especially by the infrastructure they have to deal with. The best way to change the behavior is to change the environment. Put in some sidewalks, shade trees and benches. Make the destinations closer together by eliminating some of the parking lots. Then you will see people walking more because it's enjoyable, cheaper, cleaner and more convenient.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 01-04-14 at 12:08 AM.