Old 01-04-14, 04:21 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
No you can't, not with Ultegra Di2. You might get there with Zipp tubular wheels. Clinchers, forget about it. But the frame/fork is very light. My Foil with Williams 38 clincher/Powertap wheels and Dura Ace Di2 10 speed weighs 16 lbs on the nose. With Zipp 404 tubulars it might be closer to 15 lbs, but Ultegra Di2 is heavier than Dura Ace. You'd kind of have to go Sram Red mechanical, Zipp tubulars, and you'd probably be down in the 14.5 lb range. But tubulars are a pain in the ass and Di2 is so much better than Sram Red it's worth it (I ride both Di2 and Red on two different bicycles).
I never said it would be cheap. You may not like it, but buying light wheels is pretty easy. So is swapping the stem, bars, and saddle. Point is, the frame is very good for the price.

I know to take the manufacturer's weights with a grain of salt, but the complete bike is listed at 15.86 lbs. The stock wheels are 1770 grams, so there is a lot of weight to shed there. If you want to get super crazy you can shed over 650 grams (1.4lbs) with wheels alone. Getting down to 1300 is somewhat reasonable, and that's 1 pound right there.

Can't find the weights on the bars, stem, and saddle with a quick and dirty search, but I'm willing to bet there is an easy savings of 75-100 grams on the saddle alone.

It would be a lot easier with Red, but Red isn't necessary.

Last edited by DXchulo; 01-04-14 at 04:25 AM.