patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
I never said it would be cheap. You may not like it, but buying light wheels is pretty easy. So is swapping the stem, bars, and saddle. Point is, the frame is very good for the price.

I know to take the manufacturer's weights with a grain of salt, but the complete bike is listed at 15.86 lbs. The stock wheels are 1770 grams, so there is a lot of weight to shed there. If you want to get super crazy you can shed over 650 grams (1.4lbs) with wheels alone. Getting down to 1300 is somewhat reasonable, and that's 1 pound right there.

Can't find the weights on the bars, stem, and saddle with a quick and dirty search, but I'm willing to bet there is an easy savings of 75-100 grams on the saddle alone.

It would be a lot easier with Red, but Red isn't necessary.
You can wipe your ass with weights from bike company websites. Always cheat to the light side, never include cages, pedals (I always weigh my bikes with cages/pedals). So the stock bike is realistically closer to 16.5 lbs the day you put your pedals/cages on and pedal off. Getting there with Ultegra is a pain.

You said it would be 'easy'. If I have to change over half the components and plop down a grand for Zipp 404 tubulars used (and deal with tubular tires after that), that's not 'easy'.

There is no more persistent rampant bull**** on the 41 than bicycle weight discussions.