Old 01-04-14, 09:12 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
OK, I have a serious post to make, and it goes to @Smokehouse 's discussion of increased descending speed with new wheels.

My first bike was a Diamondback Insight $300 beaut, and I replaced it with a Specialized Sirrus. I set the Sirrus up as aggressively as possible, and felt it was a vast improvement over the Diamondback, except for the S500 stock wheels. They were flexy, and made me think I had a flat tire on every aggressive hill climb. As I am a big guy, every hill climb is an aggressive hill climb.

So I replaced them with Easton EA50 aero's, and the flat tire feeling greatly decreased. And because that decreased, I would hit hills harder. And because I hit the hill harder, I would carry more speed over the crest. And since I was already going fast on the crest, I could hit 32-35 mph and tuck for the backside descent faster. And because I tucked sooner and felt faster, I would rest my chest on the flat bar and get as deep as possible, and kick my butt to the top tube. And heck, since my nipples were on the bar, I could rest my hands comfortably right next to the stem.

I pretty quickly noticed that my max speed on a frequent 12% descent had improved by 1.5 mph. And it was all because of those wheels.

I bought them to fix flexy flat tire feel, and they did it wonderfully until I cracked the freehub body. But that is a different story.