Old 01-06-14, 10:58 AM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What racers typically miss in most sports is that the majority of the market that the companies are selling to are non-competitive types. The recreational cycling sphere is much much bigger than the racers. The components might be "designed" for racers, but why do you think the racers get sponsorship deals? So they can market it to the general public. Racers get an elitist persona sometimes that the typical person riding the local climb doesn't "NEED" that light bike because he's not competing, I say baloney.

Amateur racing is akin to a Saturday night bowling league. You show up to race, most of the time you won't get your money back(gas + race entry fees) yet you show up to prove yourself against 50 other dudes where the end result only matters to you and the other 50 dudes. About the only thing you can get is bragging rights to your racing buddies. No one outside of cycling cares, just like no one cares that you bowled a 250. Well maybe your girlfriend or wife cares(except when you crash and need a new bike).

Then there's the recreational group that does metric centuries and club rides. On these club rides they'll try to beat their best buds up the local climb or sprint to the town line. This is fairly competitive except they dont have a number pinned on their jersey. They want to beat their buddy so they can brag at the coffee shop. Guys will spruce up their ride to get them an advantage and hopefully suffer less when they're competing at this level. I won't even go into Strava and how competitive that's become.

The amount of people riding around on ENVE's recreationally exceed those that are racing on them. If ENVE designed wheels only for the racer crowd, they'd be priced out of most racers budgets.

Racers need to chill and embrace everyone that makes the cycling community.

My 2c.