Thread: Record Lows
View Single Post
Old 01-06-14, 07:40 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
For me... -52 F.

YMMV

For folks who are unaccustomed to snow, ice, and cold, winter cycling can be really difficult when you don't have the right gear or a bicycle that just is not equipped.

The studded tyres went on to my bikes in November and I have several bicycles set up for winter cycling... synthetic grease in the hubs, freewheel / freehub, and bottom bracket keep things running at extreme cold and in the case of my three speed, synthetic oil in the hub will keep it spinning smoothly at any temperature I could conceivably ride in.

Braking is also affected and you have to watch for ice build up on brake pads / rims... take a warm bike into a deep freeze and moisture will condense / freeze on the rims... my winter bikes rarely get warmed up and stay cold all winter.
Everything's relative, isn't it? My coworkers think I'm some kind of hardcore extremist suicidal madman for cycling 1 mile just below 0F. When I tell them I'm a lightweight when it comes to cold weather cycling... I don't think they believe me.