Old 01-07-14, 04:30 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
These lend themselves more to track disciplines. 200 meters (flying start) is the first seeding event in a sprint tournament. Real sprinters can do this in under 12 seconds; world class sprinters can go under 11 seconds. If you can go under 13 seconds, you're at around 60 kmh. If you can go under 15 seconds, you are doing good.

The one kilometer time trial (from a standing start) is still raced by the men. Top riders have gone under a minute! 1:20 is a decent time; even then your tongue will be hanging out! When I was in my 20's, I was at a Canadian National Track Championship. I didn't know I was signed up for the "kilo," I had just arrived at the track, and they called me to the line. I scrambled up there, and with NO warmup, I did a 1:15. The things you could do when you were young!

Five kilometers used to be done by the pro's as a pursuit distance. Now it's 4,000 meters, 3,000 for women and masters. If you're over 50, you only have to do 2,000 meters, but I am not in favor of this, as this favors sprinters. A good 2,000 meter time (anything under 2:40) is merely a badly-ridden (starting way too fast) 3,000 ended a kilometer early. Anyway, anything that translates to 1:20 per kilometer is a very good time that most racers should be capable of with training.

I haven't done most of these in years. I could once go under 4 minutes for 3,000 meters, but the last time I did a flying 200, my time was a slow 14.3 seconds. But then I was never a sprinter. I think my PB at sea level for 200 meters was about 12.6, when I was in my 40's. Slow...

Luis
With that in mind, the question makes a little more sense. But note that many of us old guys have never raced period, so something that may be a common yardstick for racers, I haven't a clue about.
I did manage 501 miles in 41:39, if that helps any. That's about my best race ever.