Old 01-07-14, 06:25 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
1. why is it not fair to compare the two bikes?
Because one's a $1K+ bike and the other is a $300 bike. Obviously the more expensive bike is going to have nicer components. You need to compare bikes that are closer in cost to make it fair.

2. how many need to be left available to make a recommendation to buy a soma instead a nano?
Ok,I'm 6'. I won't fit on a 53cm Soma,I should fit the larger size Nano. Can you find me a 55cm Soma for $500? If you can't find a bike that fits,then it doesn't matter how many there are. And there aren't that many left. I can buy a Nano that fits me right now,without having to spend hours scouring the internet,and there's a good chance Nanos will be available in the coming years. The Soma's are limited to a dwindling stock that may never be produced again.

3. how is buying the nano and spending a lot of money and time upgrading it "for less than the original price" of the soma relevant when you can also buy the soma at.. half the original price? that would seem to argue in favor of the soma and not against it.
Again,find a properly sized Soma. As far as I can tell,there's only a few 53's left. If you fit a 53,great,if not,getting a great deal on a bike that doesn't fit isn't a great deal at all.

4. using the old "406 = wider range of tires" argument is tire-some. i like to call it the, "but, muh tahres!" argument. there are "ranges" of tires for every wheel size that i know of. there are plenty of tires to choose from for both 406 and 451. clearly, the soma is designed as a road bike and has the right wheels for that application.

i guess what you are really saying is that although most of the components from headset to derailleur are crap, since the nano has 406 wheels it's a better choice?
Reread what I typed. First,as far as the 406 vs 451 thing;406's are more common than 451's. I can walk into several local shops and buy 406's,but I doubt anybody carries 451's. Next,I said the Soma is limited to 32mm tires,you can't go any wider due to the frame. The Nano has clearance for much wider tires,so you can run skinny performance tires or wide comfort ones. You can even run BMX knobbies if you want to play mini velo CX.

The Soma is a nice bike,but they're hard to find,there's only a limited supply of new ones left,and they are limited in how wide of a tire you can run.

edit: also,you said "the soma is designed as a road bike and has the right wheels for that application". From the ad copy I read,the Soma was designed for urban use. YMMV,but I would greatly prefer to run 1.5" tires around the city,with the option of BMX knobbies for winter,than be limited to 32mm.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X

Last edited by dynaryder; 01-07-14 at 06:33 PM.