Old 01-08-14, 09:04 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by meyers66
Hi,
Thanks for the interesting discussion that shines a light on tire size.
I'm currently using Conti Touring tires with a flat bead and a grooved (side?) Size 700x32. My rims are WTB 22?, Tiagra hubs, that came stock when I bought the bike in 2007.

I'm interested in exploring the idea, or buying a new set of wheels, so I can ride my Volpe (cycle cross) bike on dirt roads that can be slippery when wet. I'm interested in exploring some tea field farmer roads. My idea is to have a second set of wheels I can simply swap out for riding off road in a size like 700x38.

If it matters: My brakes are Cane Creek cantilever. My STI shifters are Tiagra triple with front crank sizes 28,38,48.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it better to buy a mountain bike for this purpose? (I doubt I will do any single track here.)
If someone can drive a truck on it, you can ride a cyclocross bike on it. Having an extra set of wheels is great, but make sure you take the following into account:
1. You need wheels, tires, tubes, rim strips, cassette, and skewers to be the most convenient. The cost of everything can add up.
2. Make sure that your "off-road" tires clear everything - fenders, seat stays, chain stays, and fork. This should not be a big problem for the Volpe. You should have room for at least 35mm without fenders, and surely 28mm with fenders.
3. Try and get a rid width near what you have now, or you will have to make brake and/or pad adjustments when you swap wheels.

Plan correctly, and swapping wheels will be a 90 second affair.