View Single Post
Old 01-09-14, 08:48 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally a ride! My first of 2014 thanks to snow, ice, and cold temperatures.

It was 18F when I woke up, 20F when I left. It's supposed to warm up to the low 30s by this afternoon, so I put on my normal cold weather outfit plus new goggles and glo-gloves, and set out. My bike goggles are next to worthless. The vent holes are too close to my eyes, resulting in cold air shooting at my eyes when in motion. When I'm stopped, they fogged up almost immediately, making it very difficult to see traffic. I ended up taking them off halfway through the ride and felt much better. It looks like this gift will be getting returned. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good cold weather eye solution that won't fog up?

My Glo-Gloves worked as advertised. They easily fit over top of my snow gloves (which weren't quite up to the task of keeping fingers warm at 20F) and the reflectors are super bright.

It's amazing how much two weeks off the bike affects one's aerobic fitness. I was breathing hard, had to shift down 1-2 gears lower than normal, and had to take a lengthy break at the top of the big hill on my route. Hopefully I can get back in the shape I was quickly.