RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by echale3
I'll probably trade out the knobby tires that came on the bike for a set of straight road tires because I'm primarily going to use it on the street for general getting around and commuting. I'm looking for something with good puncture resistance and low rolling resistance. Anybody got any good advice on that front? Continental Gatorskins seem to get high marks for both, but I'm amenable to alternative suggestions, especially less expensive ones, LOL!
There is no end of tire discussion threads in the commuter forum. "I want a tire that is light and fast and responsive and comfortable and 100% flat proof in goathead country, and oh yeah, I want to pay only $9.99. A pair". It's too many conflicting goals, this tire doesn't exist. You gotta choose at least a couple goals to compromise on.

I can't quite tell, but your tires don't look all that knobby, many would prefer a tire like that for commuting: wider = lower pressure = more comfortable = better for commuting. For flat protection, my choice is Mr Tuffy liners. $15 for a set (which is less than the extra cost of effective flat protection built-in to a tire) and they can move from tire to tire.