Old 01-09-14, 10:04 PM
thugpipe

Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
The width would kill it. The Soma doesn't have the room in the frame or fork for fat tires. That plus the canti's and barcons are why I didn't pull the trigger. I've looked at the Nano a few times,but comparing the geo chart to my Qualifier,I think it would take a bunch of mods to get it to fit right,and I've already got projects stacked up. But at least I've got my Hooligans.
you might be surprised what you can fit, I have taken to running big tires at high pressure on very narrow rims. on my bike I am running 1.95 maxxis hookworms on velocity aeroheat 406 rims at 24mm wide which forces them into a very round shape especially when pumped up to 100psi like I have them they are surprisingly narrow and being that it seems at least that neither of us have the soma bike in hand I don't think anyone can definitively say what would fit although if we were talking anything other than a slick such as a knobby tire than you would definitely be right, just my two cents. I still think the biggest problem would be the brakes but I think a properly motivated individual could find a suitable solution. btw I highly recommend trying a set of hookworms on your hooligans if you haven't already, they are fantastic high speed tires at max pressure!

smallwheeler yea it has nothing to do with rationality. I am the type who is not afraid to paint myself into a corner in the pursuit of what I want and I take risks that don't always work out. I am also willing to take a cheap bike and dump way too much money into it if I think it has potential. I really wanted a Hooligan but when I rode one and I really didn't like it, the geometry just didn't suit me, eventually I found my Origin8 Bully(a $315 sorta cheapy bike) and I loved it from day one. I thought it could become a great bike and $1300 dollars worth of trial and error later it is the best bike I have ever owned and you couldn't convince me to part with it. Now you could argue with me all day that the hooligan was a better quality bike and a better value but if I didn't like it whats the point, I think for some it is similar with the nano but to each his own.

P.S. I really want the soma but the Bully bankrupted me for the next year.........No More Bikes right now!!!

Last edited by thugpipe; 01-09-14 at 10:09 PM.