View Single Post
Old 01-10-14, 01:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by percy kittens
I do indeed have a vehicle. I am becoming more interested in driving to a starting point lately. Look at the nifty bike carrier I made for my truck with a fork mount, piece of wood and that drill I mentioned:

Worked like a charm when I picked up the Surly from Portland :-D

Thanks for the link. I need a new refresh on ride starts. Takes me the first ten miles just to get anywhere near interesting.
Awesome!

Can I suggest a few rides I think you'll enjoy?

In April, go to Leavenworth, park (for free) at the park and ride, and set off on Route 2 heading east. After a block, turn left on the Chumstick Highway. Follow it through the little town of Plain, and out to Lake Wenatchee, then to Cole's Corner, and finally to Route 2 again, where you'll head east for about 15 miles back into town. Those last miles are almost all downhill, very scenic, and there's a wide enough shoulder. The full loop is about 45 miles.

Another ride. Still best in April, at least in typical years. Park in Leavenworth, take Route 2 West until you reach the gas station at the edge of town, turn left onto Icicle Road, and follow it until it's closed for snow or turns to dirt (or keep going if you can, my bike doesn't like dirt). I think this one winds up being more like 25 miles round trip?

Another fun ride. Typically still lots of snow on the high peaks you'll see in March. Drive to Darrington, park somewhere, ride to Rockport and back on SR 530 which is the only choice and there will be no turns. About 40 miles round trip.

Another one, probably best in April typically. Park in Cle Elum (free street parking), head out to Teanaway River Road, and ride up to the end of the pavement or further if you want. Then turn around and go back. About 45 miles round trip.

Final suggestion for now. Great ride just about all year, probably not right now because of the snow the mountains are finally getting. Part in Newhalem, free in a campground, or part at Diablo Lake if you prefer (also free), and ride the North Cascades Highway as far as you like.