View Single Post
Old 10-01-05, 11:34 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by coccobean
I just bought a new kona bike (cindercone).
Here is the problem - it has hydrolic disk brakes made by hayes. I took out the front wheel and now found out that somehow the brakes are locked and i cannot put back wheel back on (the drum of the wheel does not go between the brake pads)

Help help help
Coccobean
(noman)
Basically, what happened was your pistons got stroked without the rotor in place. You may have inadvertently squeezed the levers without the rotor in place, causing the piston and pads to travel further than normal.

All you need to do is push the pads/piston back into the caliper housings. A piece of black, plastic (about 1" x 2") marked "hayes"was probably provided with your bike. Using the wedged surface, insert that piece between the pads. As you push the plastic between the pads, the pads will force the pistons back into the caliper.

If you don't have the black plastic wedge, you can use credit cards or anything that is relatively stiff, but soft. If you use something made of steel, you could damage the brake pads.

To prevent this from happening, I put that black plastic wedge between the pads when I remove the front wheel.