AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2014-01-12 Not So Underground Criterium - M60+ - 9 starters:

First sanctioned race of the season, on the Tuesday nigh "Underground Crit" course, hence the "Not So Underground..."
This is a .8 mile counter-clockwise rectangular course, which rises on the front straight, drops back down after turn 1 to a fast left into what is almost always a headwind. Turns 3 and 4 are also fast, leading to an uphill sprint to the finish line, maybe 25% of the way up the front straight rise.

There are two guys who moved up with me to 60+ whom I have never beaten. Well, I may have beaten one of them, but not in a crit. One ("A") is a great all a rounder with a couple of teammates in the class. The other ("B") is very good sprinter who only races crit's. He won every 55+ crit last year but one, and several where he raced younger. Everyone knows who to watch, but not everyone has the same ideas of what to do about them. I had two teammates in the race. One I met today, and one I've known awhile. Given where we all are in our training, we didn't attempt to do anything tactically. It may seem selfish, but I wanted to race my own race, and try to use my limited strengths the best I could. I didn't think there was anything I could really do for either of them, nor vice-a-versa.

We all got reacquainted on the start line, and headed out. It was immediately apparent nobody wanted to pull into the headwind. With my fitness level, I certainly didn't. But A's team felt obligated to work, because A had the best chance to dethrone B. I stuck to A & B like glue, knowing that if A attacked, B would jump on his wheel, and if they got away, it would be case closed. That almost happened once, but I jumped to close it, with the pack falling in. A's mates tried to break and drive the pace to weaken B a few times but they didn't have the firepower, and it would have taken a LOT to handle that headwind.

So it came down to handling a few hard runs up the rise in the final laps, one of which could have split the pack if the 4 of us in front wanted to push into the wind, but it didn't happen, so we all cmd around on the final lap looking for the best approach to the pack sprint. On this course, you pretty much have to establish your position no later than between turns 3 and 4, and sometimes it needs to occur before turn 3. This was one of those times, as the race was really decided as we approached turn 3. One of A's mates dutifully accelerated, presumably to set A up. He went left (which becomes the inside). But he obviously didn't have the speed, and folks were gathering behind him. So A, with B (and "C", another strong finisher) on his wheel, went right around the pack. I jumped with them, and the 4 of us cleared the pack before we hit turn 3. As we headed to turn 4, the race was already decided. My jump wasn't enough to stick with C, and of course sprinter B went around A to get him by half a length at the line. I sprinted, but was several lengths back of C, finishing 4th.

It was a fun race, and 4th is an accomplishment given where I am, however this was not how I like to race... hiding in the pack and doing the best I can in the sprint. I needed to, however, to get my crit mojo back, and know where I stood with this season's group. And 3rd or 4th is where I stand when it comes to a field sprint. C and I match up fairly well - his edge was better anticipation and a better kick, but I will bring mine up over the next few weeks. I need to really up my game to threaten A or B, working a break strategy.

Next race is 55+, and I'll be working for a teammate, as I will anytime we are in the same race this season.

Feel great!