Old 01-12-14, 08:22 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Can you explain what the advantages of a traditional man's (diamond) frame would be for the OP's parents? What extra fun would they get? Why would anyone but a hammerhead aficionado (i.e. cycling whippersnapper) not consider the advantages of a step through frame for elderly non enthusiasts?
My point was to let them pick what they wanted, not to inflict the OP's version of the ideal bike on them. If they want tricycles or step-through frames, great, go for it. But to say, "Hey Pops, you look pretty decrepit, you'd better ride this girl's bike" is not the ideal approach either.

Advantages of the diamond frame in this case:
-Custom- seen as a man's bike versus a woman's bike- which, in the case of the dad, may override every other argument. That may be a generation gap thing, and if you're a lot younger, it may not make as much sense.
-Style- men's cruiser frames are generally cooler looking than the corresponding step-through frames
-Generally available in larger frame sizes- which may or may not be an issue there- I don't know how tall they are.

By the way, yesterday, I rode 128 miles. There were 5 of us riding in that group, and I was the youngest (I'm 53). I don't know exact ages but I believe these three are in their mid-60's. On this ride, they were all riding recumbents, but the guy in front also rides diamond-frame bikes. I haven't noticed any of them looking for step-through frames due to their elderliness. So when you start envisioning 60ish year old people as being these geriatric people that can barely hobble aboard a bike- well the parents in question might be, I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't assume that was the case site unseen. (One of the high-miler guys on bikejournal.com is in his mid 80's and rides a carbon fiber road bike. My local bike shop owner is probably close to 80 if not there, and ditto for him.)