Old 01-13-14, 07:49 PM
Balsawings

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 2.1, Trek Dohmane 2.3, Sun EZ Sport AX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Bob, you can raise the front of the seat a little by removing the seat base and loosening the front seat bracket quick release. I put a hard rubber washer under the front edge of the bracket which raised it about 1/4". That was enough to prevent sliding forward. If you need more lift, you can put wedges between the seat bracket and the plywood bottom of the seat base.

You will notice that the seat base mounting screws are in slots, so there is some forward/back adjustment of the base in relation to the seat back. Also, by keeping the seat back cover strap at lumbar height fairly tight, you actually get comfortable lumbar support.

I found the best way to fine tune the seat position in relation to the pedals was to get it as far back as possible but still be able to push off the seat back when climbing hills. This takes a few readjustments, but once you get it right on, it really is comfortable. Having this right also reduces sliding forward.

They really are wonderful seats. Happy riding. bk
BK, your suggestion was exactly what I had in mind. Since I haven't changed the handlebars or the angle of the seat back I hadn't tried it until now. After reading your post I went out to the garage and made a 1-1/4 inch square by 1/4 in thick wedge out of a piece of neoprene I had laying around and put it under the mounting bracket and the frame. I've put over 500 miles on the bike and still making adjustments. I had been noticing that I'm moving around on the seat so I will see if the wedge helps. I've also moved the seat back another 1/4 inch. The seat is now back as far as it will go. I haven't tried out the new angle yet but will let you know how it works out for me after getting a good ride in. Might be the weekend before that happens. I'm fighting a cold right now and we are getting a "cold" (cold for South Florida) snap this week. Don't figure riding in 40 degree weather with a cold is a good idea.

On another subject. I've come to the conclusion that this bike offers everything I want in a bike so don't anticipate buying a "better" bike any time soon. So, I'm looking at upgrading this one. I've not been happy with the brakes on the bike. Yesterday I took the time to pull the brake pads and sand them. I also pulled the brake arms and greased the block stubs. I also cleaned the rims. The brakes may be a little better but I'm still not happy with their stopping power. I'm used to the stopping power of the 105's on my rode bike. I've ordered two pairs of Kool-Stop double compound pads that should be here Wednesday. I'll see if that improves the stopping power.

The bike has Shimano Avid single digit 5's on it. I'm wandering if there would be a noticeable difference in braking if I upgraded to Avid single digit 7's. If I do change the brakes I would also upgrade all the cables and housings as well.

Anyone have any experience with the upgrading of brakes that I'm contemplating? Is there a better brake that I should be looking at? Should I save my money and just upgrade the cables, housings and pads? I have no problem spending the money for the new brakes so don't let that influence your suggestions. Any suggestions should be a direct bolt on replacement.

Also, I would like suggestions for the best cables and housings available.

Here's pics of the current front brake.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0315.jpg (80.4 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN0316.jpg (70.3 KB, 240 views)

Last edited by Balsawings; 01-13-14 at 07:51 PM. Reason: correct text