Old 01-13-14, 11:00 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eriku16
Sounds like a well versed Paleo follower from the looks of it. I use to work with some individuals that sound exactly the same. Using the same talking points full of fear mongering, pseudo-science and misinformation. I Could not talk any sense to any of them. Paleo is getting more like a religion/cult than some diet.
(This goes fairly far off topic and not really related to the present milk debate.)

This is supposed to be an insult? I guess I just don't care. I did a hard workout today, so I'm having a hard time getting too worked up. At least I'm 'well versed'! That's gotta be better than 'poorly versed', doesn't it?

I'm all ears for reasons why what I wrote was so bad. Honestly. I really am interested in learning more about nutrition. I guess I'd prefer some sort of dialogue to a monologue.

For what it's worth, off the top of my head I can give you a run-down of what I eat that for sure isn't Paleo. Dairy, corn, rice and buckwheat are all things I eat that are definitely not Paleo approved. The only thing that I really actively avoid is wheat/gluten. I just haven't seen any advantage to eating it and there seem to be lots of problems around it. I have yet to hear of anyone hurting themselves by 'chronic wheat deficiency'. I'll eat beans at times, but the gas I get from them can get a little out of hand. I do kind of avoid those, but, unlike the wheat thing, it's just something I don't personally react well to, it's not a philosophical objection but a physical one.

If I were going to label my eating any certain way, I would probably go with 'moderate carb', but others would possibly call me 'low carb'. 'Low carb' to me is like what Sixty-Fiver eats, which is ketogenic or damned close. If I'm going to be riding hard, I definitely need carbs. To that end, I try to eat an appropriate amount of carbs for the output I have planned. If I'm going on a hard Saturday morning ride, which is a little over 4 hours/75 miles total, I'll have a chunk of maybe 100 grams of carbs for breakfast and fruit in my pockets for the ride. If I'm feeling particularly adventurous, I'll have made some 'Allen Lim Rice Bars' and eat 1 or 2 of those. It's a bunch of carbs either way, but it's carbs that are being used as soon as they are hit the blood stream, which generally isn't too big of an issue in terms of overall, long-term health. By the end of the ride, I'll have maybe a total of 800-1000 calories eaten for the day and 2,100+ expended.

In general, though, on a day that I don't have a hard ride or workout planned, I'll get my carbs from vegetables and maybe an orange, pear or apple thrown in for a snack. My total carb intake might come in somewhere around 100 grams. That seems to work fairly well for me, so until I can find something that works better, that's kind of where I find myself.