View Single Post
Old 01-15-14, 09:41 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DIY all the way, purchase tools as you need them and that keeps the investment small. You will never have to wait for your bike to be fixed and will always know the status of your components. The cable cutter pays for itself by not having frayed cables. Wish I had purchased on ages ago. Also a "4th" hand is ... handy, unless you have a second person to help you with cables. Get a crank puller and bottom bracket wrench, a pair of each size cone wrench you need, wrench so you can pull the fork, and you are all set. That way you can do all the easy re-grease and adjust these components. You will spend less on tools than on the first couple times at the LBS.

Tons of great help here and youtube videos to help.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.