View Single Post
Old 01-16-14, 10:28 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Found this thread through a (for me) first time successful search. Some great information here and I thank you all for it as I was looking for the right types of questions to ask. I have decided that a coach is right for me this upcoming year to add more structure while working towards my goals.

I think having interviewed a few I found the right person but three quick questions if I may:

1. Is it reasonable to ask as part of the training for skills drills (i.e. cornering, sprinting best practices, etc.)?

2. Does anyone here have experience with Peaks Training Group coaches? I assume that they work on similar principals, I feel like I've found the right person to help me, but any thoughts on this company's programs would be appreciated.

3. If you have experience with PTG, any thoughts on the cost structure? I was planning to do the bronze level to start which includes regular email/text, FTP testing (but not power profile or fatigue profile), weekly analysis, planning, and Training Peaks upgrade

On what I'm looking for and why I was thinking bronze level... I'm about to be 45 yrs old, love to ride put in almost 4000 miles this past year. I do a variety of charity and a few century rides each year. I'm reasonably strong from a plodding stand point but don't train effectively. I want to be more structured with my riding but still be able to go out once a week and simply enjoy the day. I've purchased a racing license and plan to race in about 5 events for my own enjoyment (but don't want to come in last), I have a goal to beat my prior time in the Alpine Loop Fondo by one hour, and some other event based goals. I should also mention that while I'm fortunate to be able to ride during my work day almost every day that I'm more than an hour from the nearest cycling groups organized rides so most of my riding is done on my own or with one other person who lives nearby.

Thanks again for this thread, it has helped me a fair bit now it's just about choosing the right person/group/baseline