hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Also did Early Bird RR
Cat 5, see above for course.
3rd/20-something-ish. Maybe 30 at the start.

I led the way at upper tempo for the first few miles, and then dropped back "into the pack". Or so I thought - after a bit I turned around and saw no one but the mentor. He told me a few guys already got dropped. Anyway, we continued at what felt like your grandmothers pace for like 15 miles. I didn't want to break it up and be stuck working hard with the better climbers though. A few miles from the steep climb, I rode to the front and set the pace for a few miles - nice easy tempo, but no one wanted to work yet so they let me keep is pretty easy. A few minutes from the climb, I pulled back to 3rd or so to get a minuscule draft before the climb. Somehow the field got split here...

The climb started with a very steep section. I very carefully shifted into my 34 (my worst fear was dropping the chain at this part). The climb completely scattered the field. 2 guys got to the top about 30 sec ahead of me, and 3 more guys were distributed between. Hit the peak and turned around - I knew I had about 2 miles to make up as much time as I could during the winding descent. Flew past 2 guys. A couple miles later I caught up with the mentor and a 3rd guy. I tried to work with him, but after 2 pulls I looked back and he was dropping. I eased up and he told me he didn't have legs, so I dropped him and kept hammering alone (with the mentor drafting me) for several miles. Ref told me 30 seconds. Damn, I wasn't gaining. A few miles later ref told me 1 minute, and I looked back and a few guys were gaining on me. 7 miles left. This wasn't going to work, so I eased up. The guys caught me with 4 miles to go.

It was a mix of cat 4s and 5s playing leapfrog. Spent a few minutes figuring out who was who: there were 3 other cat 5s. Hill finish. I stayed at the back until just under 200m to go, then sprinted around the others and ended up with 3rd place!
Great result. Are you close to your 10 races for upgrade now?