Old 01-18-14, 07:50 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Yes, twice.

The first was after a lengthy flight (I am a pilot). I went to a hospital for treatment and was prescribed warfarin. After a week on the drug, I felt horrible, had no energy and started passing blood. Went to the hospital again and the INR had jumped to 13.4 which was causing internal hemorrhaging. A couple of weeks in ICU and 27 units of blood and I was back in business.

Second time I was hit by a car riding which led to achilles surgery and a lengthy period in an air cast. Developed a DVT in the leg that affected 3 veins. That has been treated with Xarelto and took about a year to start feeling better. Started with low molecular warfarin but had an anaphylactic reaction. Still have daily aches in the affected leg but otherwise feel pretty good.

Machka, as you know, swelling may be caused by permanent damage to the vein valves. Not much they can do about that but check with your doc.

For those on warfarin, pay attention to that INR and how you feel. Don't mess around with signs of bleeding.

For those on Xarelto, great drug but INR no longer applies. There is also no immediate reversal. It takes 24 hours to reduce the effectiveness so if you have a bleed, get to a hospital.
Likes For jdon: