View Single Post
Old 01-18-14, 07:51 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Okay, so the follow-up review on the Gary Fisher Cosmo.

The shifting is nice and clean, and she can easily manage it physically. Brakes are good too. The bike as a whole seems pretty solid, and while it's somewhat heavy, it seems consistent with the other children's bikes that are out there. In short, it's a pretty nice ride. I got it for $125, which is a bit high for a used kid's bike (even if it's in great shape), but the quality seems there.

The only downside (relatively minor) is the smallish chainring limits her top-end speed when we're out on the path and she really wants to GO! ... or maybe that's a benefit. hahaha Anyway, it's not slow, but it could be faster. Oh, and it looks like my girl is instinctively a spinner, not a masher. She'll often drop it down a couple of gears on purpose, pedaling like crazy and maintaining speed.

Here they are. I'd say the bike is worth a look if you're in the intro-to-gears phase with your kiddo.

A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera