Old 01-19-14, 10:29 AM
SmallFront

Bikes: Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
I could be mistaken but this seems more like a P&R thread hidden under the guise of long johns...

but SmallFront I am curious as to how a modern one overcomes the front heavy limitations of most bicycles and could be considered viable for non flat and imperfect pavement if even pavement for the road surface?(And yes I read your low center of gravity schtick)
It is not a "schtick". It is physics and therefore reality.

Instead of having things above and around the rear wheel, the lower center of gravity and the fact that the weight is placed in-between the wheels and not above, on-the-side, and to the rear of the rear wheel will help - especially if you have to stand up and dance.

Is it front heavy? Not really, as the weight is in between the wheels. I'd say that having weight around the rear axle, and on top of the rear wheel will make it very light on the front, and depending on the grade, it will allow you to stand up and pummel the pedals to a higher degree than something where the weight is not only above the rear axle, but also both in front and at the back of the rear axle.

You mention the "front heavy limitations of most bicycles"? What do you actually mean? How is having weight on the front a bad thing? Are we to have more weight behind the rear axle to make it so light at the front that it will wheely if we are not weighing it down? A unicycle with a front wheel five inches ahead of the rear wheel, and for looks only?

Hell, it even falls slowly when on a leaf-littered trail with road tyres due to its length, and I take the bike into forests at least twice a week with no problems, other than the semi-slick tyres not being the best for this (I have Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on it).