View Single Post
Old 01-19-14, 12:41 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
My CAR Gave-Up for Good

The day has come. I still have the car, but it has a cracked cylinder head. The coolant got into the cylinders, causing hydrostatic lock.

I held off calling a tow-truck tip the next morning (8:00 AM, Friday, 17 January, 2014). As luck would have it, there was a three car pile-up on the next block, which tied-up all the wreckers in town. So, I had to wait an hour for the tow-truck to arrive.

Today is the second consecutive car-free day for me.

Don't worry, I have very big Utility Bicycles. You can start browsing my NEW "Bike Design Showcase", on Flickr now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1162998...57639939606343

DSCF0953 by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

I had this idea to make a Utility Bike. I surveyed many people , to see if it would be worth buying a TIG Welder, but the positive responses were a little bit on the thin side, So we improvised, using Fiberglass, and lashing the strips of 'glass to the head-tube, to support the Utility Platform, shown here.

The Handlebar Basket and the Aerodynamic Fairing have *Merged* .

IMG_0916 by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

The Fairing is now Coroplast brand "Corrugated Plastic Cardboard", which saves time and money compared to Fiberglass. Ironically, the little bit of Fiberglass we did use , saves time and money compared to Inert Gas Welding. Best of Both Situations.

This bike is called the Type Eleven. I have just now created the "Bike Design Showcase" Album , with 374 photos of various Bikes, so feel free to scroll thru the slideshow.