Fatties Fit Fine

Bikes: Bianchi (2), Surly w/ couplers, REI tourer, Giant OCR Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pampusik
Congratulations!

I agree that living car free is incredibly liberating. I've found an unexpected sense of satisfaction in not being tied down with so much "stuff." And, I enjoy the sense of psychological wellbeing I get by having time to think/reflect during my commutes.

Also, automobile advertisements now seem completely hilarious.
Recently there was discussion of living car-free being too political, but I wonder if it's many things to many people. Once you get over the initial shock, car-free crosses over in a unique way that no other forum addresses. Is it a religion that limits you? Is it a philosophy like being a vegetarian? Whats oil and Walmart got to do with it? I think society is built around cheap oil and cars but it is in the background, and complex, especially with our fast paced lives. Other than NYC and a few others, driving is independence and freedom without question. It's pure joy for a teenager with a new license and heartbreak for a senior who is told they can't drive.
I have said this before- I am the only professional person I have met in this city of 3 million who doesn't have a car. Yet I do exactly what everybody else does.