Old 01-21-14, 12:11 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbotandem
custom Dean Bikes ti stem attached. It took a long time for them to get this thru their queue. Really beautiful work, welding, clamp mechanisms. This one was a reject mis-fabed in angle, but fits on a friends tandem. Dean will make in any angle or length. Ti gauge is adjusted to suit length. This one is 250mm, 225-230 grams. Aluminum face plate, aluminum bolts. This one was made for 31.8mm bars, but is mounting up old school narrow bars on which shims have been added. Price about $250. Plan to be exacting on the how the length and angle are spec'd so it is sure to be correct. Dean provides drawings and bases fabrication on an angle perpendicular to the seat post. This dry run first issue stem has helped them understand the right questions to ask tandem teams. Expect it to take some time to get thru their small shop.
i started this this thread and here is part of what I said. Here are the numbers.

new Trial Tech stem 35 degree X 180 long 243 grams. This stem only costs $55 and I have not replaced the stock bolts. $250/225 grams vs. $55/243 grams with stock bolts. Granted the Ti one is 250mm long. For most applications I would think something like the Trial Tech would be more than adequate. A 250mm long stem seems to be extremely long.