Old 01-22-14, 10:03 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by cybermike
I understand that biking everyday is out of the question, but is anyone able to commute to NYC from Syosset area at least 2-3 times a week? Is there a commuter group I can join on LI ? What the route looks like ? How long does it take ?
Google Maps. That will give you an idea of route, and your own experience with your ETA's on your present commute would give you an idea of how long it would take. Even here in Portland, OR where more people commute by bike than anywhere else in this country you would be hard put to find any that go over ~15mi. one way. You are talking about twice that distance one way. Isn't doable. Not 3x/wk, not 2x. I don't doubt that you could work up to completing the mileage, but what about the rest of your life? You are doing this so your wife could have a more reasonable commute? Well... you could basically push a button on an imaginary stop-watch counting down to the end of your marriage if you were to get involved in a 30mi one way 3x/wk. Me, I'd be mapping out 5, 10 and 15 mile routes from your new house to strategic LIRR stations. Around here they call that 'multi-modal commuting'. But that's me. YMMV.

H