Old 01-22-14, 05:09 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by peterw_diy
But it bugs me that all Surly's disc forks have traditional rear-facing dropouts. Consensus seems to be that disc brakes tend to pull wheels backwards, so forward-facing dropouts like Salsa & many others use are better & safer.
Are you talking about the forks or the dropouts? The Disc Trucker has vertical dropouts.

westrid_dad: I'd also throw the Novara Safari out there. I've got an older model that has been put through hell and it's been stone axe reliable. Multiple winters,several blizzards,grocery hauling,and even abused playing polo. You'd have to add discs to the current model,but the frame/fork have the mounts and the hubs are disc compatible,so you'd just need the calipers,rotors,and new cables. I much prefer the trekking bar to drops,you get more hand positions and can still get aero. The larger models are 700c and come with 42's which I believe is wider than the Truckers can handle. Also,if you're an REI member they offer a 20% off coupon every Spring,and if you decide you don't like it you can just take it back.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X

Last edited by dynaryder; 01-22-14 at 05:12 PM.