Old 01-24-14, 03:49 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
That seems overly optimistic, to me. Look at Amswerdam. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/wo...ling.html?_r=0
I can see the beauty in that, but also the inconvenience. My Id would long for the days when I could lock up at the parking meter closest to my destination. You can't do that in cities where cycling has saturated the infrastructure. And, while we may be a long way from that point, ppl are already talking about registration and insurance for bikes. That may be worthwhile, once you take the big picture into account, but on a personal level, it would be terrible.
Each 10 sf bike spot eliminates the need for a 100 sf car spot.

What people are talking about registration and insurance for bikes? Are you aware of any places within 500 miles of where you live that have recently started requiring this?

Also locking to a parking meter is a good way to get your bike stolen, and is an inconvenience to people trying to put money in the meter. Street signs are a better option, and ask for bike racks in more locations. It seems like a lot of new bike racks are going in these days.

"Think Outside the Cage"