Old 01-26-14, 09:19 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
January MN Snow Trail Riding Sucks So I'm Making Plans for Next Year

I really wanted to ride the snow trails this year around the Mpls area but either the trails are snowed in, the temp is below 15 deg, or above freezing and best not to ride and damage them. The biggest issue is blasted frozen glasses, so I'm making plans for next year. It's just like tweaking anything on a bike I guess.

Things I'm going to try - an extra pair of crappy glasses that I won't worry about minor scratches on the lens. Use anti-fog stuff. Carry alcohol based washer with me to de-ice them when that happens. Find some greasy anti-frostbite stuff for my face. I used to use it cross country skiing and fishing outside) Experiment with different face masks. Carry that junk with me to try when on the trails so that I don't have to abort a ride just because one thing didn't work out as planned.

There isn't any reason I shouldn't be able to ride down to zero deg without difficulty as long as the trails are not snowed in. Might even get a pair of snow shoes to help pack the trails and enjoy the day when there is heavy snowfall. Bottom line is that I have just discovered I can get just a little bit of "the woods" right here in the cities within an hour drive, and at least pretend I'm up north again.

There. End of rant. And I still don't feel any better. Temp today might reach the low teens, we have 4 inches new show, but I think I'll try it anyway. Might have some hike-a-bike or whatever they call it.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.