View Single Post
Old 01-27-14, 03:26 PM
courten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amishboy51
Another question from a noob clyde: do most road bikes have drop handlebars? And I assume that drops require you to ride in a more forward position, so do you clydes with drops have any back or other issues?
Amish, you might want to look at a hybrid, cyclocross or even a hard-tail mountain bike. They all have a much more upright riding style and your back will thank you. If you have money to burn, there are some truly awesome upright road bikes from all the major manufacturers.

Myself (back when I was a Clydesdale), I started riding a non-suspension mountain bike until I put so many miles on it that I wore it out, and it was not worth fixing. Since then I upgraded to a cyclocross which allows me near roadbike speed with the ability to tackle single track trails. Cyclocross bikes are built like tanks, although not as heavy as you would suspect. You can pick up a good one for $1,000 - $1,500. I have probably logged just over 10,000 miles on my ride (Cannondale CAADX) with semi-annual tuneups, and it still handles like new.