Old 01-29-14, 02:50 PM
Clawed

Bikes: Focus Cayo Evo , Cannondale Adventure

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Knee Saga Continues

So a year or so ago I started to have some knee pain associated with riding. It got worse with my new Focus in August. I went through all the adjustments, seat up, down, forward, back, etc, but it just got worse, so I called the doc. My PCP gave me a ringing endorsement for a guy. I look him up, and he had gone to good US medical schools, good fellowship, spoke English, team ortho for NHL team, big college team, blah,blah, blah.

First visit. I had very carefully noted those conditions that made it hurt, where it hurt, lots of good sharp observations, I'm a scientific type so I felt pretty prepared. I sit down and the PA comes in. Short buff muscular weight lifter kind of guy. "So your knee hurts, eh?" I told him my observations, he cuts me off says talk to the doc. Doc comes in, slightly taller buff muscular weight lifter. "So your knee hurts, eh?" Told him my observations, half way through he says need an MRI and splits.

Couple weeks go by, get the MRI, back to the office. PA comes in and gives me a lengthy reading of the MRI. Hems and haws, message is, "Can't see anything." Doc comes in, hems, haws, scratches chin (he is an MD after all) doesn't see anything much. Says things like,"Well we could give you this injection, or that injection, or PT, or exercise, or heat, or you could buy a brace at CVS, or something..."

So my take away is that if your knee isn't a train wreck or doesn't have an actual small caliber bullet lodged in it they don't have any ideas. So I'm just going to run it 'till it collapses and they can see my quivering pink body lying on a stretcher. At least they have some nice "before" MRIs to compare it with.