cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by modernjess
Fat bikes (and their riders) have their limits in snow. I own one and live in a snowy frozen hellscape. A foot of fresh powder is most likely beyond the capability of most fat bikes and riders. There are a lot of variables that go into it but with fresh snow a lot has to do with how much moisture is in the snow and how compactable it is or not. You just have to get out in it and see how it goes. I've had some really great days in 8 inches of fresh snow, and some really awful days in 4 inches of super wet crud. Anything that is already compacted is usually very ridable.

With that said, rider fitness is a HUGE factor. I feel like many times I'm limited not by the bike or the snow but by my fitness level. It takes a lot of effort to ride snow. I'm a big guy and getting old so generally I'm moving slowly in the snow albeit with a smile on my face.
Maria Leijerstam rode a trike with fat tires to the South Pole. She commented during her documentary that she figured out at the end that by really pushing it, she was able to go over the loose stuff much more easily because she didn't sink in. Clearly rider fitness is going to have a huge effect on whether or not (or for how long) you can pull something like this off.