Old 01-30-14, 05:34 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by dmusicant
Therefore I ride 27" x 1 3/8" tires, the biggest fluffiest softest tires I can get on my bike. A quick look at Amazon doesn't show any kevlar tires like that. Maybe I should stick with liners and one thorn resistant tube on the back. I'd say that the smoothness of the ride is just as important as the flat-resistance.

Maybe I should give some thought to getting a bike with bigger (thicker) tires, a hybrid of some kind. However, I'm used to Maes handlebars where I have a couple of hand positions for relief. Hybrids and mountain bikes appear to have just one hand position. I don't know if I'd like that.
Look into cyclocross bikes. They have cantilever brakes and can fit wide tires. Any proper cyclocross bike should easily be able to fit 700x38 tires (your 27s are roughly 35mm wide) and the 700 size has more tire selection in that width range.

Cyclocross bikes are still light and fast, and ride basically like road bikes, but have more room for tires and fenders. Sort of like what road bikes used to be, and what they should still be today (in some people's minds.) Today the only type of road bike you can get is a "race" bike that may only fit 28mm tires or narrower. A cyclocross bike would fit your needs a lot better than a MTB or flat bar hybrid.