View Single Post
Old 01-31-14, 06:07 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Last Sunday, I had the opportunity to do my 50th Birthday Ride. I hit the big 5-0 this week! Officially Over-the-Hill. No longer means summitting a climb anymore.
I wanted to commemorate the milestone with an epic personal challenge. I recalled chatting in a past thread with PastorBobinlnh about riding the Apache Trail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Trail
It's a long winding narrow road with some tough climbs and breathtaking scenery. It's paved all the way to Tortilla Flat, once a Pony Express stop. But the mountainous sections are frost heaved. Many of the riding clubs and diehard roadies do this ride and risk the danger from drivers out sightseeing.
So, I checked the route and it is 50 miles from door to the Canyon Lake Marina and back. It's one of the man-made lakes used to supply water to Phoenix. It's one of the most prettiest spots in the PHX Metro region, IMHO. Where it begins, in the outskirts of the city of Apache Junction, the Trail is a 12+ miles of steady climbing and a steep sections of climbs and descents to the lake. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/351046039

I prepared for the event by swapping the wheels of my Bianchi Premio. Member irvri gave me a set of Sansin hubbed wheels with bronze finished Araya rims. Same model as my original silver rims. I adorned them with a pair of Conti Gatorskins to give some thorn protection for this desert trek. I had a cheapo 7 speed freewheel with a 28t cog that I threaded on there. I needed all the low gearing I could muster. With the 39t inner ring of the Bianchi, I thought it would be enough. The Bianchi looked pretty snazzy with the bronze rims. Now, all I need is to find a set of Gran Compe or Suntour sidepulls to complete the Maeda Group theme of the bike. (presently Shimano 105 1050 calipers on there)

I began in the afternoon to let the day's temp rise to a comfortable level. I wouldn't need to wear a jacket and have to carry it later. It's in the 40s F during mornings in the desert, and hit 75-80 F by afternoon!
The ride began with 12 miles of local roads through the cities of Mesa and Apache Junction. I'm familiar with the route because I used to live there. And upon seeing these spots, I couldn't help having a bitterweet feeling. A melancholy overcame me and my ride excitement. It's hard to believe it's been nearly 2 years since my personal bad turn of events began. I have shared some details to the C&V Forum about it this past year, and consider the folks here my community. Many have helped me through my ordeal. To spare those of you who aren't interested and not following my situation, please feel free to skip to the next paragraph for the main course of this ride report.
I haven't been back since 2012! When I was forced out of my home, I took up temporary residence in Apache Junction for the Spring and Summer of 2012 while my legal issue was played out. I had my Crosscut and I rode each day to keep myself sane. So, I knew all the safe routes away from traffic. I was now back riding these roads to get to my destination. I saw the view of mountains that were seen from my backyard. I reached and turned onto Signal Butte Rd. the main cross street where my house, possessions, and bikes are still supposed to be. As I passed through my neighborhood, I entered Apache Junction. I rode on the same route I used to do. I felt bitter, and empty inside. I was thrusted back to when it all began, and how lost and stressful it felt then. My rides kept me healthy and hopeful. Even though I've overcome so much adversity since 2012, and realize how fortunate I am, there is no closure for the lack of accountability of what my ex-wife had done. A criminal, con artist, deceitful thief. That's what was discovered thanks to my attorney. I can't conceive how a person can plan to do this, and that the life we shared was a lie. A seven year lie. I was nothing more than a vehicle into the USA, and source of money to be defrauded. The thoughts were broken when I reached the end of the road. The house I stayed in was around the corner, but I didn't see it. And I'm glad for that. I'm now approaching Lost Dutchman Blvd. Rode straight through the city, 2 1/2 more miles and I'm already half way to the lake! I tried to shake my funk off and return to the positive effort. The view of Superstition Mountain, an imposing and majestic piece of volcanic upheaval, commands the area. I've always found it to be the most interesting mountain in the metro area. And Canyon Lake, one of the most picturesque locations. I first drove out there a month after I was married in 2009. And only returned in the Summer of 2012 when I had resided near. This will likely be my last time I return.

The ride commences. Bianchi with new red tape, rolling on smooth Sansin hubs.

Apache Trail -002 by WNG555, on Flickr

Heading East, with the sight of Superstition Mountain in the horizon. Mundane suburban roads and bike lanes for 10 miles.

Apache Trail -001 by WNG555, on Flickr

Pass Mountain, one of the mountains I could see from my backyard. Note the trail midway up it. I always wanted to hike there, maybe it's time to do so.

Apache Trail -004 by WNG555, on Flickr

I reached Signal Butte Rd. The main cross road in my old neighborhood. I felt like a victim returning to the scene of the crime. I turn south and retrace routes from 2 years ago.

Apache Trail -007 by WNG555, on Flickr

A custom luxury home on a hill along Signal Butte Rd.

Apache Trail -010 by WNG555, on Flickr

I reached the end of Apache Junction. The Trail begins a few miles ahead.

Apache Trail -012 by WNG555, on Flickr

Superstition Mountain with the Lost Dutchman Blvd as the vanishing point.

Apache Trail -016 by WNG555, on Flickr

Last edited by WNG; 02-01-14 at 01:35 AM.