View Single Post
Old 02-01-14, 03:46 AM
CustomSteel

Bikes: 50's-60's Ross Deluxe, 68 Schwinn, 83 Peugeot P8, 84 Jamis Durango, 85 Peugeot PH501, 86 Raleigh Grand Prix, 91 Maruishi RX-7, 92 Marin Bear Valley, 92 Trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking sharp, that's a nice setup you have there. I'm still trying to find a good place to have our bikes powder coated. I noticed talk of clearcoat, and if you don't mind I'd like to share something real quick regarding the stuff. Clearcoat paint is intended to make underlying paint look exceptionally shiny and deep, which is exactly why it is used as a standard in the automotive industry. The "wet" look helps sell cars, and clearcoat is the least expensive and easiest solution to achieve this effect. Wet sanding and buffing is actually the proper way to give depth and shine to paint, but this is very time consuming. Clear topcoats are more susceptible to UV light and ozone, which both degrade the clear paint on a molecular level causing it to discolor and/or lift and peel. The most useful application of clearcoat is in circumstances where you have multi-tone paint jobs or decals that you want to have a seamless transition over the surface, ie smooth to the touch when you run your hand over it. This really isn't necessary unless you need a show-quality finish on a custom paint job.

You have a great solid bike there. I understand people out there may feel it's a waste of time and money because it does not have a high market value, but the market value doesn't have anything to do with it being a good bike or not. It's fickle stuff and in the end it's really just stupid. If you plan on keeping this bike, then your time and the quality work put into it will always be a good investment. On a side note, this would be a really solid frame for a touring bike if you are/were ever interested in that. I wouldn't mind riding my Peugeot P8 with you, although it admittedly wouldn't be as in nice of shape as your bike.