View Single Post
Old 02-03-14, 08:43 AM
Dermbrian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reinofratch
Most people seem to think it takes away from the ride. I see it as theme music, whic sets the pave for the ride.
That is kind of the way I see it, too. I used to ride a motorscooter, and I had put a stereo of sorts on that, too.

Picture driving in a convertible on a beautiful day, along the shore on Highway 1. Is it sacrilige to consider that there might be some surf music playing on the radio and that might enhance the experience? I know it would do so for me.

I recognize that some riders...especially those with very nice machines, clothing, accessories and participants in cycling clubs or other organizations...prefer the zen-like integration of themselves and their machines while keeping a cadence that tests their abilities and gives them the stamina to keep up with other areas of a demanding life. But hopefully there is room in the umbrella term 'rider' to include those that approach being on a bicycle from a different direction. Transportation. Play. One of many varied approaches to cross-training and exercise. Rebellion against Peak Oil. Economy. Neighborhood awareness. Tinkering. Nostalgia.

I'll add that my bike is a big-box sports store hybrid, bought about 15 years ago. It's an Iron Horse, and I've added the big WALD baskets (from my LBS) to the back after doing my first and probably only century ride. I've advocated for a bike rack at my place of employment and have just seen that implemented and am looking forward to commuting in addition to the grocery shopping that I occassionally use as an excuse to ride. I jog (yes, at 58 I'm old enough to use that term...) for fitness on the local greenbelt trail in my suburb, but I use my bicycle almost exclusively to go places. There have been very, very few times that I've loaded my bike onto my car to go to somewhere to 'ride', but I do like riding my bike. Having grown up in a small town in southern Illinois, in farmland dotted with small towns spaced 5-10 miles apart in every direction, a bicycle was a great way to go places. It still is, even without butterfly handlebars and a banana seat.

Brian

Last edited by Dermbrian; 02-03-14 at 09:03 AM.